The Court Affiliates website, https://www.courtaffiliates.org/ (the “Site”), and services are part of the Center for Legal & Court Technology (CLCT) at William & Mary Law School, which is part of the College of William & Mary a non-profit Virginia state university. This page informs Site visitors and users of CLCT’s Court Affiliates services (“You”) of CLCT’s policies regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information received from users of this Site.
By using the Site and providing CLCT with personal information, You agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this Policy.
The Site collects personal information about You from your interactions with it and from certain third party and other sources (including your employer/provider of your subscription access to our services).
CLCT may obtain the following types of personal information from You, or from the third party arranging Your access to our Site and services:
- Name and contact details (including email address, phone number, work address, etc.);
- Account credentials (such as passwords);
- User content – communications, comments, forum responses, etc. provided by You in relation to your use of this Site and services; and
- Payment information, when provided by You to make payments for annual memberships and separate event registrations.
This Site may also collect non-personal information that your browser sends whenever You visit the Site (“Log Data”). This may include your computer’s IP address, browser type, browser version, the pages of CLCT’s Site that You visit, the time and date of your visit, and the time spent on those pages, and other standard statistics and performance metrics.
Like many websites, this Site may use “cookies” to collect information. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if You do not accept cookies, You may not be able to use some portions of our Site.
How Your Personal Information is Used
CLCT uses the personal information collected for a number of legitimate uses, including to provide and improve CLCT’s services for You. This may include:
- Processing necessary data to provide You with the services included in your membership, or to administer our relationship with You (e.g., replying to your comments or sending invoices);
- Delivery of electronic newsletters and other important communications (including marketing materials, as permitted by law)–from which You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” option;
- Contacting You in relation to, and to conduct, surveys or polls in which You may choose to take part, and to analyze the data collected for market research purposes;
- Display information You choose to post, share, upload, or make available on our Site, such as through comments, forums, job posting, or other communications;
- Using, for instance, Your name and professional affiliation at events and related collaborations (such as name tags at our conferences and events);
- Using Your personal information where You give us specific consent; and
- When necessary, to comply with legal investigations or proceedings.
With Whom Your Personal Information May Be Shared
We may share Your personal information certain third parties for only the legitimate purposes stated above. Our third-party providers are not permitted to share or use the personal information made available to them for any purpose other than to facilitate the services provided to you. These third parties may include:
- William & Mary Law School, within which CLCT and CLCT Court Affiliates is situated (e.g., for accounting purposes);
- The person providing your access to our services (e.g., your employer or other subscription provider);
- Affiliated organizations with whom we deliver services, provide content, or host events, conferences, workshops, and seminars;
- Third parties who help us deliver services on our behalf, such as email distribution services;
- Third parties to whom CLCT has a duty to or are permitted to disclose your personal information by law;
- Third parties where reasonably required to protect our rights, users, systems, and services–such as legal counsel or information security professionals; and
- Any person with whom You have expressly asked us to share information (e.g., if You provide information to upload onto our Site, or request that your contact information be shared for job posts or be used to connect You with other industry professionals).
The companies that support the Site (the “Companies”) do not have access to the members-only section of the Site, without permission. In light of his active participation in and service as the cofounder of the Court Affiliates, this permission has been granted to Martin Gruen, Deputy Director Emeritus, a current volunteer at CLCT, and Managing Member of Martin E. Gruen Consulting, LLC.
How We Secure Personal Information
As an entity within William & Mary, we take reasonable precautions, working with IT and information security professionals, to help preserve the personal information You share with us and protect against risk of loss or misuse.